Friday, January 11, 2008

YouTube Video of Multiplication

YouTube is a great spot to find videos on all sorts of topics. Mathematics is no exception to this. Here is one that demonstrates yet another algorithm for multiplication.

In Mathematics part one and two, my instructor encouraged me to learn and teach other ways of performing arithmetic calculations. Here is one that is doing the rounds of the Internet.

The video is entitled Multiplication Using Vedic Mathematics. I explained it to one of my coworkers who teachers grade three, and she taught it to her students. Her students were fascinated with the process and it was encouraging to see her students multiplying two digit numbers by two digit numbers in their spare time.

Does anyone have any alternative ways of calculating addition, subtraction, multiplication and division that they would like to share? If so, let me know, and I will post them.

No comments: